Variable Speed Shake Table (Updated 3/2021)
Here's a fairly easy way to build a variable speed shake table for earthquake engineering simulations in various classes. It's now new and improved with a 3D-Printed Flywheel and controller box!
Electronics that can be purchased on Amazon:
Since I don't have images of the actual construction, I'll do my best to recreate the step-by-step with the finished product.
- On the piece of plywood that will be the top section of the shake table, Measure in 1" from each corner of the top piece of plywood. Mark the intersection.
- Use a 1/2" drillbit to drill through the plywood at each intersection.
- Cut the 1/2" wood dowel into 1.5" lengths. These will become the legs that are inserted into the springs.
- Flip the wood over (to the underside).
- Apply lots of Elmers Glue into the drilled holes and the top ends of the dowels.
- Insert the dowels until the ends are flush with the topside of the board.